Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The pianist

I hate riding subways in summer, it is terribly hot in there. I simply cannot sustain it. This was the reason I moved to the City two years ago, so I can walk. I usually run fast to get to my train and trying to be out of there as soon as possible. 
Three years ago, changing trains at Union Square,  I stumbled upon this boy. 12 years old Jason Cordero 
from Ecuador, was sitting there and playing Beethoven in a white synthetic suit. It was about 95 degrees outside and probably 100 inside, but all of a sudden I didn't care. I stopped. I was standing there for about 
half an hour listening to him with another 30 or so people. I wanted to cry, he was so good. His father was 
standing near for the safety.Back then I took a picture and posted it on Facebook saying that I have seen an
amazing boy.
I didn't forget him, but I haven't seen him anymore. I also stopped using subways shortly after.
Jason Cordero, Summer 2010

Jason Cordero, Summer 2011
Today, while coming back from Brooklyn, carrying full bags of tile samples for a project, with a computer and study material on my shoulder, sweating and tired I heard familiar piano sounds. It wasn't a melody that I knew, but I could feel the emotion of  performance. The image of a little boy came to my mind. I knew it was him. I went towards the music. He was sitting there, grown up like a little man, with his father aside, performing better then ever. I couldn't help myself, but I stood there for another half an hour paralyzed listening to him. 
It is funny, that after coming home I found his card in my wallet from 3 years ago. It is saying "Pianist.Music Star.World's Happiest Boy". Shortly I found out on YouTube, that he was participating in America's Got Talent in 2012, that there was an article about him in Daily News and a short film was made with his interview. He says, he wants to get into Julliard. Damn yeah, he's got talent and I'm pretty sure Julliard is waiting for him. Good job Jason Cordero, I'm not related to you, but I'm proud. Keep the good work.
Jason Cordero Today
**My phone was dead, so I couldn't take a picture, nor make a video. So I'm sharing videos from YouTube that I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment